On 21 June 1987, Syria formed its own Regional Committee. It coordinates and plans the activities of Hamazkayin in Syria, as well as directs the activities of its five chapters, four units, and its subcommittees.
- The Nigol Aghpalian chapter was founded in Aleppo, in 1930. It has 560 members. The chapter committee functions with subcommittees (literary, music, theater, social and women’s auxiliary.) The chapter has two dance troupes, “Sartarabad” and “Shoushi,” as well as the Levon Shant Theater Troupe, Arshil Gorki Art Studio, and a pop music band.)
- In 1989, the Armenian Youth Association acquired Hamazkayin’s sponsorship. It has 430 members. The activities of this chapter mostly include producing publications in Arabic related to the Armenian cause, as well as fostering mutual Armenian-Arab cultural relations.
- The Vahan Navasartian Chapter of Hamazkayin was founded in Latakia in 1965. It has around 75 members. The chapter hosts Keghart Dance Troupe and Nareg Choir.
- The H. Ohanjanian Chapter was founded in Kessab in 1988. It has 53 members. The chapter has a theater troupe, as well as Gantegh Children’s and Cilicia Youth choirs.
- The L. Shant Chapter was founded in Damascus in 1952. It has 230 members. The chapter includes Aghtamar Choir. It organizes music, drawing, and Armenian folk dance classes.
- The Avedis Aharonian Chapter was founded in Kamishli in 1987. It has 90 members. The chapter has a theater troupe, Vana Dance Troupe, Gomidas Music School, a choir, as well as a summer school.
The Zavarian Theater Company was founded in Aleppo in 1936. In 1988, following a decision by the second Regional Representative meeting in Syria, the Zavarian Theater Troupe joined the family of Hamazkayin and became the Zavarian Theater unit of the Regional Committee of Syria, and which took upon itself the activities of the theater troupe. Guided by expert directors, the theater company has presented the plays of Armenian and foreign authors.
The Zvartnots Choir was founded in 1969 and has functioned under the sponsorship of the Armenian Prelacy of Aleppo. In 1988, following a decision by the second Regional Representative meeting in Syria, Hamazkayin became the caretaker of the Zvartnots Choir. As such, the choir became a unit of Hamazkayin. It produced high quality performances of Armenian and world music.
The Armenological Institute was established in 1996. The Institute has a four-year curriculum. It is located at the Armenian Karen Jeppe Lyceum. The Institute presents courses in Armenian language, literature, and pedagogy, by local and guest lecturers from Armenia five days a week. The Armenological Institute has around 35 graduates. The graduates are employed either as teachers in Armenian schools, or as managers in Armenian institutions.
The Parsegh Ganachian Music School was established in 1986. Until 1997 the school operated under the sponsorship of the Armenian Youth Association. In 1997, following a decision by the 9th Regional Representative Assembly of Syria, the Parsegh Ganachian Music School became a Hamazkayin unit. The music school continued its activities at the Armenian Sahagian School and became a medium of expression of the next generation’s musical talents. The school has 350 students. The school provides instruction in music and various instruments. The unit also includes a chamber choir, and a band of canon players, which perform in Aleppo and in various regions of Syria.
The Regional Committee of Syria, due to the interest of its members and a close-knit community life, has an active and large membership.